Every new patient will receive a comprehensive dental exam on their first visit. At that time and at following regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include:
• Diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): to find decay, tumours, cysts, bone loss and tooth positions.
• Oral cancer screening: to check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
• Gum disease evaluation: to check your gums and bone around your teeth for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
• Examination of tooth surfaces: to check for decay with special dental instruments.
• Examination of existing restorations: to check your fillings, crowns, veneers etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (scaling, root planing and polishing) are completed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam by the dentist and:
• Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has formed on the tooth and will be firmly attached. Calculus forms above and below the gum line, and can be removed with appropriate dental instruments.
• Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produces toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease and can effect your general health!
• Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.